Why is Asphalt Sealcoating an Investment?Posted by XSealer Asphalt Sealcoating / September 29th, 2017 / No responses
An asphalt pavement is a mixture of rock, gravel, and sand bound by bitumen and laid over a driveway, parking lot, airstrips among other surfaces. It is durable, resilient and adds value to whichever property it is laid. But as with every construction material, an asphalt pavement has a lifespan which can be increased by asphalt sealcoating.
Why Does Asphalt Sealcoating Increases the Lifespan of Your Parking Lot?
The lifespan of asphalt is affected by some of these factors:
• Environmental elements – wind velocity, air temperature and base temperature can all affect asphalt pavement compaction. Compaction is reducing the mass of material to achieve stability and resistance to deformation. This is affected by oxidation which deteriorates the binder in asphalt pavement quickly. Too much oxidation of the pavement makes it brittle and susceptible to cracking.
• Pavement construction – This includes the mixes used (depending on the unique requirement of the surface being laid), surface preparation, rolling methods used to achieve compaction and time allocated for the pavement to solidify and harden before use.
• Traffic – Traffic load and frequency for which the surface is laid to withstand.
• Maintenance – Frequency of maintenance carried out on the asphalt pavement if any.
Preventive maintenance is to be carried out on the surface to increase its lifespan. One way this can be done is through seal coating.
Asphalt Sealcoating Is the Answer
Seal coating is the process of applying a coat of coal tar emulsion on asphalt pavement to protect it from the damaging effects of the environment, chemical spills and general degradation of the asphalt pavement.
Asphalt seal coating is an investment because:
- Improves the aesthetic appeal of your asphalt pavement
- Increases the service life of the pavement by locking out moisture and other damaging elements
- Regular maintenance by seal coating saves on money that would have been used to either repair or replace the pavement in the long-term
- Provides a smooth surface by filling cracks and rough spots making it easier to clean the pavement
- Regularly scheduling seal coating alongside other maintenance services will more than double the lifespan of your asphalt pavement.
Invest in Your Property by Hiring Xsealer for All Your Asphalt Sealcoating Needs.
At Xsealer Asphalt Maintenance we design and execute asphalt paving and asphalt seal coating projects for residential and commercial properties.
Contact us online or call (443)858-8589 for all your pavement needs.
Xsealer Asphalt Maintenance is a locally owned and operated company based out of Howard County with over 10 years of experience. From driveway sealing, asphalt parking lots and patching, Contact Xsealer for all of your asphalt maintenance needs.