Like any other part of your company’s physical infrastructure, your parking lot needs regular maintenance and repair. Seal coating will help minimize the amount of repair it will need in the long run, and minimize the cost, too. That is, it does if the seal coating is done right. It’s an involved procedure, and it takes time, effort, and experience to seal coat an asphalt parking lot right. You don’t want to lay a bad seal coat.
How to Seal Coat a Lot
There are several steps to properly seal coating your asphalt parking lot:
- Block Off the Parking Lot: You need to completely block off the parking lot to make sure that nobody and nothing gets into it during the seal coating. And that includes water from nearby sprinklers. The lot must remain blocked off for a full 24 hours after the seal coating is completed.
- Clean the Parking Lot: The entire parking lot must be thoroughly cleaned. No debris, no leaves, no dirt, nothing. Using push brooms and leaf blowers can help to do a thorough job.
- Prime the Problem Areas: Sealant will not stick to asphalt that has oil or other chemicals soaked into it as easily. So you need to apply primer to these areas to fix that problem. You also need to seal any cracks in the parking lot at this stage.
- Seal the Parking Lot: Next, you apply at least 2 coats of high-quality commercial asphalt sealant. It must then have at least 24 hours to dry.
- Re-Mark the Parking Lot: Once the sealant has fully dried, you will need to re-mark all the parking spaces, entrance/exit indicators, and so forth.
- Check the Work: After the work is finished, you need to give the entire parking lot an inspection to make sure it is fully and evenly sealed with no problem areas.
These steps all need to be done properly to get the job done right. An improperly applied seal coat means a damaged parking lot and unnecessary repair bills.
Contact Us to Learn How We Seal Coat Asphalt Parking Lot Surfaces
Contact us at XSealer Asphalt Maintenance today for a free estimate. We do both commercial and residential paving and seal coating. We know how to seal coat asphalt parking surfaces right and protect your investment.